February 20 – 24, 2014: We had a jam-packed few days in Cape Town, South Africa before meeting our GAdventures group to commence the Dunes, Deltas and Falls tour.
There was a lot of ground to explore and taxis are expensive, so we used the Hop On-Hop Off bus as a means of transportation to sight-see and the visit the major attractions.
Some of the highlights included:
- exploring the area including the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront,
- riding the cableway to the top of Table Mountain,
- taking a guided tour of the township,
- visiting Robben Island,
- walking through the colorful neighborhoods of Bo-Kaap,
- experiencing the cafés and nightlife on Long Street,
- wandering the grounds of Kirstenbosch Gardens,
- sampling wine at a few vineyards,
- cruising Chapman’s Peak Drive taking in the stunning vistas, and
- viewing penguins and other wildlife at Cape Point.
We also had the unfortunate experience of someone trying to mug us in broad daylight at knife-point (we escaped unscathed). It was a sad incident as the mugger was clearly an addict. We would prefer to focus on all the positive experiences but we must be honest – anywhere you go, not all experiences are without negative components.
TIP: We use World Nomads for travel insurance when we travel internationally. We believe they offer the best coverage for the money and they are super easy to work with! You can get a quote using the widget on our Resources page.